U.S. President Donald Trump “got the message” on the strength of opposition to his planned visit to Britain, London mayor Sadiq Khan said on Friday after Trump said he had cancelled the trip.
Khan said: “many Londoners have made it clear that Donald Trump is not welcome here while he is pursuing such a divisive agenda
“It seems he’s finally got that message.”
He said Trump’s visit “would without doubt have been met by mass peaceful protests”.
Trump said he had cancelled next month’s visit, which had been set to include the opening of the new US embassy in London, because he did not like the building and thought it was a “bad deal” financially.
“I am not a big fan of the Obama administration having sold perhaps the best located and finest embassy in London for ‘peanuts,’ only to build a new one in an off location for 1.2 billion dollars,” Trump wrote on Twitter.
“Bad deal. Wanted me to cut ribbon-NO!” the U.S. president added.
“That is totally plausible Donald… Nothing to do with what would have been the biggest protests since the Iraq War,” anti-hate activist Brendan Cox said in reply to Trump’s tweet.
Labour lawmaker David Lammy, who had vowed to lead a protest against Trump if he visited, said the U.S. president was “too scared of us Londoners, who don’t want him darkening our door.”
The cancellation of the visit was “excellent news,” said Lindsey German, organizer of the Stop the War Coalition, which had planned a large protest against Trump.