Fire, on Saturday evening, engulfed the Independent National Electoral Commission’s office in Qua’an Pan Local Government Area of Plateau State.
It was learnt that the fire destroyed many valuables, including ballot boxes, generators, newly-printed voters register as well as unclaimed Permanent Voter Cards.
INEC Head of Voter Education in the state, Mr Osaretin Imahiyerobo, who confirmed the incident to our correspondent in Jos on Sunday, however, blamed the incident on a drunken security man.
Osaretin said, “Yes, it is true. The INEC office in Qua’an Pan has been engulfed by fire causing a setback for the preparations for the general elections in the local government area.
“A drunken security man was said to have caused the fire. The office is completely burnt with all its content, including ballot boxes, generators, cubicles, newly-printed voters register, uncollected PVCs, materials for the preparations of RAC and other materials yet to be identified.
“Members of the management team led by the Administrative Secretary, Gbadamasi Rasheed, are on their way to assess the situation.”