Fire guts shacks, stopgap and other structures in the Kano Street of Ebute Meta area in Lagos State on Sunday evening due to abrupt electrical discharge known as electric spark.
The fire exhumed from a shack when the electricity was restored around 6pm.
Residents and traders in the community while recounting their ordeal and lose appealed to the State Government to help in developing the structure back as they have lost everything to the inferno.
One of the residents, identified as Ifadamilare Adeoye, said the fire spread when a cooking gas in one of the shanties exploded.
Adeoye explained, “Around 6pm on Sunday, there was a spark in one of the shanties in the area when power was restored and the fire started from there before it escalated to other areas.
“As the fire started and people were packing their belongings, the fire got to a cooking gas and it exploded, destroying everything in the community. People living in these shanties have lost their property; we want the government to come to our aid.”
A trader involved in timber business, Emmanuel Iwuoha, said he was called as he wasn’t around when fire started lamenting that he lost over a million to the explosion.
“I have a timber shop here and yesterday (Sunday), I was called that fire had taken over this place. When I came here this morning, I saw that all I had was gone; all my materials, industrial machines at the shop had been destroyed by the fire. I lost over a million naira to the fire.
“We want the government to allow us to develop this place back because this is where we get our daily bread and if we can’t put back the structure again, all of us will be stranded. We want the government to provide an avenue on how we can have access to money because we have lost everything,” he said.
Another trader, with the name Obioma Ihesiulo, disclosed that he lost over N4m worth of goods.
However, the acting Head of the Lagos State Fire Service, Margaret he acting Head of the Lagos State Fire Service, Margaret Adeseye, said the cause of the inferno had yet to be discovered.
Adesey said, “We received a call around 8.38pm about the fire and on arrival at the scene, we met a very well alight fire, covering about 1944 square meters. The structures involved were makeshift structures built in a swampy area, which made it difficult for our fire engine to navigate the environment because the terrain is not friendly because of its swampy nature. However, our Iganmu and Ilupeju fire stations extinguished the fire about four hours later around 12.30am.”