The Ministry of Works and Housing has said no money was missing under the minister, Babatunde Fashola, supervision.
The money was alleged to have been missing between September and December in 2019.
Fashola denied the allegations that he supervised the illegal payment of N4.6bn into private accounts when he served as Minister of Power, Works and Housing.
According to a report, it stated that Fashola’s ministry paid over N4.6bn into personal accounts of directors and staff in four months in which it violates the existing law.
It maintained that the N4.6bn was illegally paid into the private accounts of some directors and employees of the Ministry of Power, Works and Housing.
Contrary to the report, the former governor said, “In all, no money was stolen or is missing. There is no smoking gun to criminalise Fashola.”
The reaction was personally signed by the minister in Abuja on Monday, explained that the Federal Government in 2007 initiated a payment platform, the IPPIS.
He maintained that the current administration had been engaging all sectors of government to fully defect to the IPPIS platform.
Fashola said, “What has happened is that not all government officials who, from time to time, needed to be paid for approved expenses were registered on the platform.
“In order to ensure that government work was not hampered, the directors of finance and accounts sought and obtained approval of the accountant-general to pay these monies through the accounts of an approved few who were on the platform.”
He added, “Those so approved then collect the money and disburse to the beneficiaries who sign receipts all of which are retired and available for verification as approved by the accountant-general.”
Fashola however accredited the controversy over the payment of N4.6bn to some directors to challenges arising from the use of government payment platform, the Integrated Personnel Payment and Information System.